I’m back with some nail art today, but that’s not all, I also have a tutorial for you! I haven’t done a tutorial in a long time and I simply had to do one for this design. I love it so much! Let’s take a look.
These are Asa no Ha nails! Asa no Ha is an ancient decorative embroidery pattern known as Sashiko (little stabs). There are many different Sashiko patterns but this is the Asa no Ha print aka Hemp leaf. 😀 It’s one of the prettiest geometric prints ever. But… It’s a little tricky to paint. I would say this is an advanced design but I hope with my step-by-step photos you’ll be able to tackle it. My nails were inspired by the talented LadyCrappo who also did a tutorial for this design. My method is a little different so I decided to share it with you today, with LadyCrappo’s permission.
- Start with a base colour, I used Polish My Life Muscat Martini and paint a triangle in the middle of your nail using a striper brush, I’m using ORLY Instant Artist in Grape.
- Next paint a triangle below it and two more beside that (which forms a Triforce for you nerds!). Make sure to follow the two sides of the first triangle to form the ones below it. All you’re doing is elongating those lines and drawing a horizontal one below it!
- Then fill up the whole row with triangles. You can paint one at a time or paint the horizontal lines first then form the others.
- Cover your entire nail in this pattern! Take your time, but don’t worry if it doesn’t look perfect, mine don’t either! You won’t see it too much at the end so no stress.
- Then comes the
funtricky part, connect each corner of the triangle in the center. You can paint dots in the center like LadyCrappo’s tutorial if it helps you.
- Repeat this step for all the triangles. It takes some time but the end result is so worth it! Clean up any paint you may have gotten on your cuticle and finish with top coat.
I found it helps to paint this design triangle per triangle. You could alternatively start with evenly spaced horizontal lines across the nail, and diagonal lines going both directions. I noticed this doesn’t always give perfect triangles for me. Though you could definitely try it that way too!
This is my finished look! I painted the Asa no Ha print on my middle finger and ring finger and my thumb (not shown). I even painted my dominant hand, it just takes a bit of practice. If you are feeling like, “damn you Emily, I have no patience for this!”, I spotted the Asa no Ha print on one of the MoYou Suki plates (they have the best designs!), so there’s always that option if you don’t feel like freehanding it.
As I mentioned above I used Polish My Life Muscat Martini as a base and painted the print with ORLY Instant Artist striper in Grape. I finished all nails with Glisten & Glow HK Girl top coat and used a matte top coat on my middle and ring finger so you could see the print more clearly. I absolutely love these nails and I hope you do too! If you recreate it make sure to send me pics. I’d love to see. 🙂